Immigration Equality is the only organization in the United States with a full-time legal staff committed to serving LGBT immigrants and their families.
IE and IEAF’s legal and policy teams pursue every option that could help binational couples: lobbying in Washington, D.C. and around the country, demanding policy changes from administrative agencies like Homeland Security and going to court.
Immigration Equality says it won’t give up – and I believe them! They say they know immigration reform for our families can’t come soon enough – and I agree with them!
They have built an amazing alliance of Fortune 500 companies with strong ties to new leadership in Washington, D.C. They’ve built a bipartisan campaign.
In 2010, some of their achievements for couples like us included:
- Incredible new allies, like Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Committed and Eat, Pray, Love – who lobbied Senators and Congressional Representatives in Washington, D.C. on behalf of same-sex binational couples
- Achieved support for UAFA, Uniting American Families Act, from 31 cities, 15 faiths, 17 Fortune 500 corporations, and 161 members of Congress – all record totals
- Mobilized support for UAFA and same-sex binational couples from new allies like Log Cabin Republicans, The Methodist Church and many other civil rights and immigration groups to create new awareness and support in both blue and red districts and states
- helped make sure the Senate comprehensive immigration reform bill includes LGBT families
- likewise for the House comprehensive immigration reform bill
- served 2,463 families with their legal help hotline – help those families could not get anywhere else
They aren’t giving up. I’m not giving up. Please don’t give up – keep fighting for all of us.
IE and IEAF’s goals for 2011 include:
- Helping more families with a new binational couples attorney
- Winning more asylum cases for LGBT people fleeing persecution (with more than 500 victories already won)
- Gaining regulatory benefits for LGBT immigrants from Homeland Security and the State Department
- Mobilizing more support for UAFA in key Congressional districts
Support Immigration Equality and Immigration Equality Action Fund by buying Torn Apart: United by Love, Divided by Law from Findhorn Press online at
Use ordering code IEAF15 and $4 of each book sold will be donated to Immigration Equality Action Fund.
Or donate directly to Immigration Equality or Immigration Equality Action Fund (their political lobbying arm) by going to their sites:
Immigration Equality’s national headquarters is at
40 Exchange Place, Suite 1705
New York, NY 10005